Tons of flavor without all the guilt, these tater-less tater tots are equal parts yummy and nutritious.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed and broken into small florets
- 5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 large egg whites, whisked until frothy
- 3/4 cup of coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (panko)
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Boil a large pot of water. Add in the cauliflower and boil it until it is tender, for about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain in a colander, shaking it to remove the excess water. Return the cauliflower to the pot and dry it over a medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Use a potato masher, mash cauliflower until it resembles a clumpy rice consistency. Transfer to a large bowl in order to cool, stirring it occasionally.
- Stir in the flour and cheese into the cooled cauliflower. Season it with pepper and salt. Stir in the egg whites. Line an 8-inch-square baking dish with some plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to hang over the edges. Spread cauliflower mixture into the pan, compacting it into one even layer. Cover it with plastic wrap and chill it in the freezer until it is very cold, which will take 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to a setting of 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with some cooking spray.
- Spread the breadcrumbs onto a plate. Gently turn cauliflower mixture out onto a cutting board, removing plastic wrap. Cut it into 36 even pieces. Roll them into the breadcrumbs, turning to coat all sides. Place on baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Coat tots with cooking spray. Bake, turning once halfway through, until they are browned, for about 35 to 45 minutes.