A bacon recipe that isn’t drenched in fat? Score! This delicious recipe for Cavatelli with bacon and arugula is ideal for a quick meal for date night or a girls night in.
- 1/4 pound(s) of sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 3/4 cup(s) of canned crushed tomatoes (one 15-ounce can)
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) of fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 pound(s) of frozen cavatelli
- 1 1/4 cup(s) of arugula, stems removed, leaves torn in half (one 2-ounce bunch)
- 1/3 cup(s) of grated Parmesan
- Using a large stainless-steel frying pan, cook bacon over a moderate heat until it is almost crisp. Remove using a slotted spoon. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- Reduce heat to a moderately low setting. Add in the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it soft, which will take about 5 minutes. Add in tomatoes with the juice, salt and pepper and bring it to a simmer. Cover it and cook for 10 minutes.
- Using a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook cavatelli until it is just done, which will take about 10 minutes. Drain and toss it with sauce, bacon, the arugula and the 1/4 cup of the Parmesan. Stir it until arugula wilts. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over top.
- Notes: Cavatelli Options: Look for cavatelli in the frozen-foods section of your grocery store. Substitute frozen egg noodles or gnocchi in equal amounts for the cavatelli if desired; they will have a similar doughy chew.
- Variations: Use 1 1/4 cups of watercress or spinach, large stems removed, instead of arugula.
Photo: Jovina Cooks Italian